Participants evaluate, create and teach topic-specific, content-informed lessons that integrate primary sources from the Library of Congress and exemplify effective instructional practices.
Review of basic skills learned in Level 1.
- Navigate the LOC web site and review the content.
- Understand the importance and use of primary sources in curriculum.
- Use search strategies to develop a deeper understanding of how to search within collections, exhibits, prints and photographs and other sections of the LOC.
- Understand how to integrate different types of primary sources in the curriculum.
- Use correct methods for citing sources and finding permanent URL's..
Gain a thorough understanding of instructional best practices using primary sources and identify exemplary learning experiences.
- Create a search plan based on an information literacy model for interdisciplinary and/or subject-specific primary sources.
- Use search plan to find interdisciplinary and/or subject-specific primary sources.
- Review a learning experience using a checklist of components of best practices.
Create standards-based learning experiences integrating primary sources from the Library of Congress that exemplify best practices.
- Identify state standards for the specific content area to be used in a learning experience.
- Develop assessment tools that provide evidence of learning that meet state standards as a result of the learning experience.
- Integrate primary source materials from the Library of Congress into an engaging interdisciplinary and/or subject-specific primary source standards-based learning experience.
- Prepare a 5-7 minute presentation covering the components of your lesson's framework.
Investigate the effects of primary source-based instruction on student learning.
- Design a pre-test and post-test for using primary sources.
Teach, assess and reflect on their experiences using primary source instruction.
- Implement a learning experience developed for own classroom and complete the learning experience questionnaire.
- Reflect on teaching experiences using the PMI (Pluses, Minuses, and Points of Interest) format.
Evaluate primary source-based learning experiences.
- Field-test at least one existing lesson or activity from approved AAM\TPS database
- Complete follow-up questionnaire for each
- Submit updates, revisions and/or suggestions for each field-tested lesson